Luke Donald has vowed to come back stronger than ever as the defending champion looks set to crash out of the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth.
The former world number one carded a level-par 72 on Friday, leaving him six-over after two days of play, and 12 shots behind clubhouse leader Francesco Molinari.
After a disastrous opening round yesterday, Donald had a mountain to climb, as he bid to become the first player since Colin Montgomerie to claim three consecutive tournament victories at the European Tour's flagship event in Surrey.
The 35-year-old said that poor weather conditions was a contributing factor to his performace, but also conceded that he had been guilty of playing some "pretty terrible golf" over the past couple of days.
"I think the last couple of years it's been very warm, and balls travelled a lot," reflected the 2011 and 2012 champion.
"I'm hitting a lot longer irons into some of these holes this year because of the weather, but the bottom line is I didn't play very well. Nine over through 21 holes is pretty terrible golf really."
Donald remained upbeat despite his disappointing showing, and said that there is no reason to panic as he continues his preparation for the next 2013 major, the US Open at Merion in Pennsylvania next month.
"I've got some good time coming up with my coach back home and we'll work on it and get ready for next week and the US Open," he added. "I'm not too worried.
"It's disappointing to miss a cut, especially here at Wentworth. But I'll be back. I think failure is a much bigger motivator for me than successes."
Later, Donald took to Twitter to thank fans for their continued support, and reiterated his intention to react positively to his latest setback.
"Well, a tough couple of days unfortunately," he tweeted. "My golf was much like the weather this week - quite miserable!
"Nothing that a bit of hard graft can't fix however. Failure is much more of a motivator than success #KeepGettingBetter."