Dawn Approach will be Saturday's Epsom Derby favourite heading a field of 12 after Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Magician was withdrawn.

Seven Irish horses will run with trainer Aidan O'Brien having five runners including Battle of Marengo, Ruler of the World and Mars.

Saturday's Derby will be the 234th and Chopin is set to become the first German-trainer runner in the race's history.

The race usually attracts massive crowds of over 100,000 as spectators watch 'Britain's richest horse race' at Epsom Downs in Surrey.

Dawn Approach, one of the seven Irish horses, is expected to begin the race around evens and was the impressive winner of the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket recently.

Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin operation has a 51% share of the horse with trainer Jim Bolger the other 49%.

The horse comes from a successful family, as he is the son of 2008 Epsom Derby winner New Approach and grandson of 2001 winner Galileo.

Last year's combination of Aidan O'Brien and son Joseph led Camelot to victory and will hope to do the same teaming up with Battle or Marengo.

Plenty of rainfall in the Surrey area has meant the ground is described as good to soft, soft in places. However, the forecast from now is for sunshine.

The Derby, taking place at 16:00BST on Saturday is the pinnacle of the two-day meeting and this year will certainly be no different.

Epsom Derby field

Battle Of Marengo
Chopin
Dawn Approach
Festive Cheer
Flying The Flag
Galileo Rock
Libertarian
Mars
Mirsaale
Ocean Applause
Ocovango
Ruler Of The World


Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://bit.ly/12evFlH

 

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Topics:
Flag article