Andy Murray took the first set 6-3 after breaking Nicolas Mahut twice late in opener, winning the last four games in a row, the score is currently tied 2-2 (15-0) in the second.

Murray, who lost here last year to Mahut in a third set tie-break, didn’t appear to be struggling with the back injury that led to him missing the French Open a fortnight ago, and proved to be too strong for his opponent during the longer rallies in the opening set.

After that however, various showers led to the players coming on and off court several times, and at around 18:30, play was cancelled for the day.

The British number one will have to return to centre court tomorrow after the match between Jo-Wilfred Tsonga and his French compatriot Edouard Roger-Vasselin, whose match was due on after Murray’s.

The delay also means that the winner will have to play their third round match as well on Thursday, which could play into the hands of Australian tennis player Marinko Matosevic, who awaits the eventual winner.

One Brit did however, make it through to round three before the rain delay. Dan Evans achieved one of the biggest wins of his career, and one of the upsets of the tournament so far by beating Jarkko Nieminen in three sets 6-4 6-7(8-6) 6-4. 

The British number five will now face a tough challenge against the third seed Juan Martin Del Potro in the next round on Thursday.

In the early tie of the day on centre court, former Wimbledon champion and four times winner of Queen’s, LLeyton Hewitt caused an upset by beating the rising Bulgarian star Grigor Dimitrov. Hewitt, 32, won in straight sets 6-4 6-3 against the player ten years his junior.

Hewitt looked a lot more comfortable than he did earlier on in the week during his first round match, taking full advantage of the break points that came his way. The Australian will now face another former Queens champion, Sam Querrey in the third round.

Elsewhere the number two seed Tomas Berdych cruised to a straight sets victory against Thiemo De Bakker 6-1 6-4.

The big serving Czech rarely looked troubled during the match, and came through the first set in just 22 minutes.  A single break in the second was also enough to see Berdych through to round three. 

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here:

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

#Andy Murray
Flag article