Boxing

Nathan Cleverly promoter: Big names running scared

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Nathan Cleverly's promoter Frank Warren says that opponents are running scared to face the WBO light-heavyweight champion.

Cleverly will attempt to defend his title for a sixth time when he faces an opponent who is yet to be named on August 17.

Warren thinks that Cleverly is a great fighter and that's the reason some opponents have rejected offers to fight him.

"I know he's the real deal and know what he's capable of and I think deep down so do these other fighters," Warren told reporters. "I think that's why we get these little swerves every now and then.

Warren has been attempting to arrange a big-name opponent for Cleverly for a while. He targeted an all-British bout against Carl Froch which hasn't come to fruition.

Froch retained his IBF super-midleweight crown with a points win over Mikkel Kessler at London's O2 Arena in May and Cleverly, who retained his WBO title against Robin Krasniqi in April, was hoping for a battle against him.

"We offered him [Froch] £2.5m to fight Nathan, for Nathan's title in a catch-weight fight so it wasn't at Nathan's weight," Warren said. "Nathan would come down a bit in weight.

"And he [Froch] turned it down and he starts slagging him off.

"You look at who he was fighting at the age of 26. Go and look at the records and compare the records."

Although Cleverly's opponent is yet to be named for the Welshman's next fight, Warren is in negotiation with Russian Sergey Kovalev.

Cleverly has previously stated that he wanting to beat Bernard Hopkins and Beibut Shumenov in an attempt to unify the light-heavyweight division.

Warren claimed he had been in talks with the promoter of the IBF light-heavyweight champion. 

"I had been talking last week with Richard Schaefer [Hopkins' promoter] and I think we weren't far off," Warren added. "We were quite close to agreeing something, then Bernard Hopkins for some reason went very cold on it.

"But Bernard did that before with Joe [Calzaghe]. I thought we made the fight with Joe at least three or four years before Joe finally fought him."

 

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://bit.ly/12evFlH

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Carl Froch
Nathan Cleverley
Boxing

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again