Liverpool have suffered a setback in their pursuit of Shakhtar Donetsk ace Henrikh Mkhitaryan after the Ukrainian club confirmed they had received an offer in the region of £20 million from Borussia Dortmund.
The Reds have been heavily linked with a move for the Armenian playmaker in recent weeks and are expected to take a move for him in the summer transfer window.
However news of Borussia Dortmund's interest emerged yesterday, and according to Shakhtar's CEO Sergie Palkin the German giants have firmed up their interest in the form of a $30 million bid.
"I don’t know where Mkhitaryan is, now; solely his agent knows this," Palkin told Terrikon of the 24-year-old, who failed to report for training on time this week.
"Borussia offered $30 million (£19.5m approx.) for the midfielder. I contacted Mkhitaryan’s agent yesterday. I wrote to him about the official position of the club."
Liverpool had reportedly hoped to pay a similar figure to lure Mkhitaryan to Anfield, but Palkin says it will require an offer of around £25 million to persuade him to sell up.
"We are prepared to sell Mkhitaryan for €30m; this offer stands for the next 10 days," he said. If Mkhitaryan wishes to leave, they have to pay this amount for him."
Liverpool have so far snapped up the likes of Simon Mingolet, Iago Aspas and Luis Alberto ahead of the summer transfer window opening on July 1.