Wayne Rooney’s future in Manchester United hands, says Mourinho

Published 17 Comments

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says the ball is in Manchester United’s court over their offer for Wayne Rooney.

Mourinho confirmed the Stamford Bridge club had made a bid for the 27-year-old, but insisted it was no longer anything to do with them and that the Old Trafford club only need make a decision.

The Portuguese was speaking after a Romelu Lukaku goal had been the difference in their first pre-season match against a Singha All-Atars in Bangkok.

“I think that this situation is clear - nothing is a secret anymore," he told reporters.

"The official bid is just about a certain amount of money and doesn't involve players.

"We want the player. We made the bid and now we have nothing more to say.

"Now it's up to them and we respect their decision. I work with my players now, as I've done from day one.”

Reports on Tuesday evening described Rooney as being “angry and confused” at comments made by new Manchester United manager David Moyes, where he intimated the England international was seen primarily as a back up to Robin van Persie.

It later emerged that Chelsea had tabled a bid worth £10million and a choice of either Juan Mata or David Luiz, something that was swiftly denied by the Blues.

The Manchester United star also appears to be the only man on Mourinho’s wanted list, as his was response to being asked if they had made another bid was “No. and we won’t”.

“Yes” was the answer when asked  if it was “Rooney or bust”.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Premier League
Manchester United
Wayne Rooney

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again