Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso is now a candidate for the vacant Red Bull seat in 2014 after it emerged his management had talks with Red Bull representatives on Friday at the Hungaroring.
Both Ferrari and Alonso's agent Luis Garcia Abad insist that no talks took place, however Red Bull principal Christian Horner admitted that Alonso was being looked at, there was some confusion over his contract.
It was previously thought that the Spaniard was contracted with Ferrari until 2016 and team boss Stefano Domenicali claimed that Alonso was a real asset to the team but admitted that the team needed to improve to please the driver.
Kimi Raikkonen remains favourite to replace Mark Webber after recent speculation and issues over late salary payment at Lotus, with Jenson Button second.
The Englishman has struggled in his Mclaren this year but denies he is unhappy at the team.
Christian Horner had said that the team were looking at Raikkonen and sister team drivers Jean Eric Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo.
Horner had previously said in April that Red Bull would name their two drivers for next year in the summer. However since then Webber announced he was to leave the sport.
The Metro reported on Saturday that Red Bull were preparing to announce Ricciardo as Webber's replacement after a string of good performances in both races and qualifying.
The young 24-year-old Australian also impressed in the Young Driver Test at Silverstone.
Horner has said that he is very pleased at the popularity of the seat and says that Red Bull want the two fastest drivers on the grid.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/12evFlH
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.