Liverpool have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Brazilian striker Diego Costa, after he insisted he was happy to remain at Atletico Madrid.
The Reds submitted a bid of £21.8million for the forward last week, but this was rejected by the Spanish club who highlighted their determination to keep hold of him.
And now the striker has had his say on the matter, and revealed he has no intentions to leave Atletico.
"I'm well here, I'm happy here," said Costa.
"As I've been in Argentina and Uruguay I've not heard anything about this. I'm happy here, if the club want me to be here, I'm going to be here.
"I think that our coach (Diego Simeone) counts on all of us, not just me. He knows how important it is to maintain the squad, the fans know it as well."
The 24-year-old netted 20 goals in 44 games last season, and will no doubt be under extra pressure to perform well this year following the departure of Radamel Falcao.
The club's sporting director Jose Luis Caminero, has also said the striker is not for sale, meaning Liverpool will now have to look elsewhere in a bid to bolster their options upfront.
"Diego Costa is a very important player for Atletico, we value him very highly and we are convinced that this year he is going to score a lot of goals with Atletico.
"He is an idol for the fans," said Caminero.
Liverpool continue their preparation for the new season when they play Valerenga in Olso tomorrow (Wednesday).
They kick off their Premier League campaign at home to Stoke on August 17.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/130seMa
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.