Roberto Martinez has criticised Manchester United for their pursuit of Everton pair Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini.
The Premier League champions angered the Merseyside club after submitting a £28m joint bid for the players, which was described as 'derisory and insulting' by the club.
Martinez has now accused Manchester United manager David Moyes of lacking "common sense" and of not adhering to United's traditional transfer protocol.
Moyes and chief executive Ed Woodward are both new to their respective positions after Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill stepped down. Martinez believes this change has brought about an unrecognisable Manchester United.
Martinez told reporters: “I’ve never seen Manchester United working in this manner before.
“When you want a player you just do the business quietly, you get it done and that’s it. I don’t know if this is a new way of working.
“There’s been a previous relationship of 11 years with a manager [Moyes] and he had a great relationship with the chairman [Bill Kenwright], so you can imagine it’s extra sensitive.
“But I never wanted to look into what the bid meant, what was behind it or the timing of it. I never assessed that at all. In fact, it wasn’t even a bid because it never reached any sort of valuation.
“There isn’t an offer on the table where anyone would consider anything. If they’d matched the valuation maybe then you would listen to one of the players or have to open up, but that hasn’t been the situation.
“The market brings the valuation. But clearly, if you invest a certain amount in a player [Fellaini] and that player is one of the outstanding performers in the league, then I’m sure that price has gone up. It is common sense, isn’t it? All we’ve had is a bid that doesn’t go anywhere near the reality, so it doesn’t go any further.”
Although it was Everton who went public by confirming they had rejected the bid, Manchester United have clearly rattled some feathers after falling so far short of what Everton expected for their two outstanding performers.
Everton are yet to reassure fans that they will not sell the pair and Martinez has confirmed that there is little they can do to keep them if the right offer does come in.
He did however, say that they will both be available for their first home game of the season against West Brom on Saturday.
“If I say I can guarantee they will stay I would be lying because if Real Madrid decides to give us 100m euros for a player I’m sure we will not be able to stop that,” said Martinez.
“We need to be realistic. I don’t want to lose anyone and financially the club do not have to sell, which is very important. Maybe in other moments, when the timing is wrong, you have a bid and you have to cash in. That is not the case.
“We’ve got very good professionals and my relationship with them is that I like to be open, honest and respectful. They understand what Everton is to their careers and would never be disrespectful to the club, fans or anyone here."