Crewe Alexandra fans blew a sigh of relief as the long and overdrawn transfer saga surrounding Brad Inman finally drew to a positive conclusion earlier this week.
The Newcastle United midfielder agreed a three-year deal with the Railwaymen for a reported five-figure fee. The fee could potentially rise to six figures based on appearances and includes a sell-on clause which entitles Newcastle to 25 per cent of any profit Crewe make in any future sale.
The Scotland U21 international rejected a one-year contract extension at the Magpies due to a lack of opportunities.
This led to Steve Davis pursuing Inman with the idea of returning him to Gresty Road, where he scored eight goals in 26 games last term.
Due to his age, Crewe could not sign Inman up on a free despite him being out of contract. The Railwaymen faced the prospect of a tribunal if they could could not agree terms with Newcastle, where an independent panel would decide the fee owed to the North Eastern side.
The Alex were forced to enter lengthy negotiations with the Premier League team in order to obtain the player's services whilst avoiding a cautious tribunal.
Crewe's first three bids for the Australian-born Scot were rejected, leading many to believe Inman would be staying put. However, the League One outfit made a fourth and final offer which was accepted.
Steve Davis has conducted his business exceptionally well in retaining Inman's services and also securing the return of Arsenal's Chuks Aneke on a six-month loan.
The two were instrumental in Crewe's strong season in 2012-13 as finished 13th in the league and were also crowned Johnstone's Paint Trophy champions.
Crewe boss Steve Davis believes it is refreshing for the sport as a whole to see a player take a significant drop down and sacrifice wages in order to secure increased football opportunities.
"Not many players turn down a Premier League club to drop down to League One. It takes a lot of guts." Davis told BBC Radio Stoke.
"We've worked very hard on trying to bring Brad into the club. It has been complicated with the negotiations and a long drawn-out process but Brad wanted to come here and we wanted him here so we did all we could and had to remain patient."
Following his move, Inman told Crewe Chronicle: "I spoke to the gaffer (Davis) when I was on holiday in Australia and told him i wanted to come back, I had a great loan spell here.
"I have never dealt with anything like this before, I didn't expect it to take so long. The first bid went in, then the second and they kept going and I started to wonder if it was ever going to happen.
"When I heard there was a fourth and final bid I felt it could be the end." said the 21-year-old.
Inman revealed that was overjoyed and found it difficult to keep it quiet after receiving a call and being told that the two clubs had agreed a fee.
"No matter what happened I wanted to come to Crewe. There may have been other interest but I didn't look into it because i had my mind set.
"I don't see it as a step down, I am at an age when I am not bothered about leaving a Premier League club. I am just happy I'm here now."
After heaps of praise and support for the attacking midfielder from Alex fans on social networking site Twitter, both the player and supporters will be relieved the move has come to fruition.
"It was good to get a lot of messages from fans saying they wanted me, it was a confidence boost for me. If you are welcomed at a club it is good and it can help you in games" he added.
"I've already told the gaffer I owe him one so hopefully I can do it for him and the fans on the pitch."
Crewe fans will now hope Inman will be able to feature in their fourth league game of the season away at Leyton Orient. The League One face-off will kick off at 3pm on Saturday 24 August.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/130seMa
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.