Southampton progressed to the third round of the Capital One Cup, courtesy of a 5-1 victory at Championship strugglers Barnsley.

Barnsley handed a debut to 41-year-old Mike Pollitt, who joined the club on a 28-day loan from fellow Championship side Wigan Athletic. 

Southampton fielded numerous regulars from last season, with Nathaniel Clyne, Maya Yoshida and Gaston Ramirez all starting for the visitors.

The Uruguayan midfielder should have fired the Premier League side ahead in the opening minute, when Jay Rodriguez provided Ramirez with a one-on-one attempt - but he could only fire wide.

Pollitt was almost caught out early on, when Danny Fox's cross-cum-shot almost found its way into the back of the net. Pollitt was called upon to parry away the Scotsman's attempt.

Barnsley's first real chance of the game came soon after, after some tidy play led to Marcus Pedersen finding a sight on goal, but his shot was dragged wide of the post.

Southampton broke the deadlock soon after, when some good individual work down the flank from academy product Lloyd Isgrove culminated in a goal for Steven Davis. The Northern Ireland captain capitalised when the ball broke into his path, comfortably finishing past Pollitt in the Tykes' goal.

Jack Cork was then presented with the opportunity to claim his first Southampton goal since signing for the club in the summer of 2011. Some neat link-up play from Jay Rodriguez and Gaston Ramirez eventually found its way to Jack Cork, but the central midfielder could only lash wide of the target.

Rodriguez was involved again soon after, when his long-range attempt on goal was fumbled by Mike Pollitt. Fortunately for the hosts, Scott Wiseman was on hand to clear before Emmanuel Mayuka could pounce on the loose ball.

Gaston Ramirez was close to doubling up the lead for the visitors, but his deft lob fell the wrong side of the post.

Pedersen was to have a second attempt, once again firing wide, before one-time Southampton loanee Jacob Mellis lashed an attempt of his own wide of Kelvin Davis' goal.

The half-time interval saw Southampton head in 0-1 up, and neither David Flitcroft nor Mauricio Pochettino opted to make any changes during the interval.

Jay Rodriguez soon doubled the lead, the former Barnsley loanee curling a superb attempt into the back of the Barnsley net to enable Southampton to breathe more comfortably following some smart build-up play on the edge of the penalty area.

Barnsley ensured Southampton's comfort would be short-lived, when Stephen Dawson's attempt from 20 yards found its way into the Southampton goal and halved the deficit.

Barnsley boss David Flitcroft then opted for a double substitution, introducing Jason Scotland and Chris Dagnall in place of Marcus Pedersen and Tom Kennedy.

The substitutes almost combined to provide immediate effect, but Chris Dagnall failed to bring down the ball to get his shot away, allowing Kelvin Davis to gather the ball.

Mellis was next to go close for the Tykes, but his dipping volley fell wide of the Premier League side's goal.

Flitcroft then opted to use his full quota of substitutions, introducing Polish midfielder Tomasz Cywka in favour of Kelvin Etuhu.

Shortly after the hour mark, Southampton's lead was extended to 3-1, courtesy of a goal from Zambian international forward Emmanuel Mayuka. The Zambian worked well to get some space, shifting the ball onto his right foot and firing well into the top corner to resurrect Southampton's two-goal lead. Mayuka celebrated with a trademark set of flips and handstands, adding to the excitement of the visiting fans.

Mauricio Pochettino then opted to hand Omar Rowe his senior debut, when he replaced fellow academy graduate Lloyd Isgrove in the 72nd minute of the match.

Shortly after it was the turn of another academy player to make his professional debut. Central midfielder Harrison Reed came on to replace goalscorer Jay Rodriguez, taking up a central role as Gaston Ramirez advanced to the centre-forward position.

Omar Rose almost had a dream debut, when he got a shot in on goal, but it was turned away by the veteran goalkeeper, Mike Pollitt.

Barnsley went from bad to worse, bringing down Emmanuel Mayuka in the penalty area, sending the Zambian sprawling and requiring medical attention.

Steven Davis stepped up to the penalty spot, firing into the back of the net to hand Southampton a three-goal lead.

Mayuka was swiftly replaced, as Pochettino handed yet another academy player an appearance. This time it was the turn of Jake Sinclair, brother of West Bromwich Albion's Scott Sinclair.

There was time for one more goal, however, as Gaston Ramirez added the final touch to the tie. Ramirez showed his class to quickly round Pollitt, before calmly finishing into the open goal.

It was to end Barnsley 1-5 Southampton at Oakwell, seeing the Premier League side comfortably qualify for the third round of the Capital One Cup.

The draw for the third round takes place tonight.

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here:

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

#League Cup
Flag article