Manchester United have missed out on another key transfer target after Roma's Daniele de Rossi committed himself to the Italian side, say the Daily Express.
United put in an opening bid of £12 million on Friday morning for the Italy international but Roma coach Rudi Garcia insisted that they had left it too late and that all further bids would be rejected.
The 30-year-old joins an increasingly long list of failed targets in midfield for the Premier League champions after unsuccessful moves for Cesc Fabregas and Thiago Alcantara earlier in the summer.
"Daniele de Rossi isn't only a big player, but he's also a big man," said Garcia.
"He has been here at Roma for a long time and he wants to play with this jersey.
"We spoke when he came back from his holidays and we said that, if it got past a certain date, he would certainly remain with us.
"He will stay here for the whole season and this is something that satisfies me a lot."
David Moyes has yet to make a significant signing in his fledgling career at Old Trafford.
With less than 12 hours to go until the close of the transfer window it is understood that Everton duo Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines remain key targets for the ex-Toffees manager.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/130seMa
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.