Southampton rejected a deadline day bid from Arsenal for highly-rated midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, according to a GiveMeSport source.
The 23-year-old Frenchman - who enjoyed an impressive debut campaign in the Premier League in 2012/13 - has earned rave reviews after a series of commanding performances for the south coast club over the past 12 months.
After topping the charts for the most interceptions and tackles of any player in the English top-flight last season, Schneiderlin has attracted admiring glances from a number of potential suitors.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is a known supporter of the Saints star, and made an offer in the region of £12million to try and bring the player to the Emirates Stadium.
"A bid from Arsenal went in for Schneiderlin yesterday [Monday] morning," a source told GiveMeSport. "But, that bid was rejected straight away by Southampton."
Arsenal went on to complete the club-record signing of Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid for an initial £42.4million, and dropped their interest in the former RC Strasbourg midfielder.
Schneiderlin will now be hoping that another solid season at St Mary's will put him in contention for a first call-up to the French national team, ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil next summer.
"There are many things that I want to improve on," he told Southampton's official website last month. "It's a World Cup year and it's going to be very important for me to be in the squad as I haven't been before.
"I want to help Southampton finish as high up as we can and I also want to play at the World Cup, so I have to have a good season."
When questioned about rumours of an Arsenal bid for Schneiderlin, a Southampton spokesman declined to comment.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms