Ferrari have confirmed former driver Kimi Raikkonen will return to the team in 2014 partnering Fernando Alonso in a two-year deal, according to Autosport.
The announcement had been widely expected and particularly so after Felipe Massa announced he would be leaving the team via social media on Tuesday.
It marks the second driver change among the big four teams after Daniel Ricciardo was promoted from Toro Rosso to Red Bull for 2014 last week.
Raikkonen, who missed out on that second Red Bull seat, was widely expected to then remain at Lotus but a lack of assurances over future finances and competitiveness led to Raikkonen looking elsewhere.
As I mentioned it marks a return to the team where Kimi Raikkonen won his only world championship in 2007 after replacing Michael Schumacher.
The announcement confirms a highly anticipated partnership between Raikkonen and the man who replaced him at Ferrari in 2010, Fernando Alonso.
Many fans have doubts how practical such a partnership will be particularly considering Alonso's history with Lewis Hamilton at McLaren in 2007, but the two former champions teaming up certainly creates one of the strongest driver line-ups seen in F1 in recent years.
Further hope for a more successful partnership between the pair came after comments made by Alonso that he would accept Ferrari's decision as to whoever they chose to be his team-mate next season.
Writing in response to fans' questions about his future team-mate, Alonso said: "It's not possible for me to talk of any name for next year because I have a lot of respect for Felipe."
We've been working very hard and close for four years to give Ferrari the maximum.
"Whatever decision the team will take will be good for me, and we will keep working to give Ferrari the best results possible."
Attention will now switch to the future of the the man Raikkonen replaces, Felipe Massa, who could well retire from F1 and who will replace Raikkonen at Lotus for 2014 with Nico Hulkenberg the man widely expected to be announced.
Indeed after the German's star performance at Monza, Lotus boss Eric Boullier admits he is top of their shortlist.
"He had a good weekend and we know Nico is quite a good driver and fast," said Boullier after the Italian Grand Prix.
"I have known him for a long time, since he was in Formula BMW.
"Nico is also on the shortlist of Ferrari, from what I understand so we all have plans, if the first one is removed, there will be a B-plan."
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/130seMa
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms