Arsenal completed the capture of another free transfer signing on Tuesday, after former Charlton Athletic youngster Semi Ajayi confirmed that he had a agreed a deal to sign for the club.
Although the move has yet to have been announced by the Gunners, Ajayi revealed on his personal Twitter account that a two-year contract had been signed after a successful trial period.
"Delighted to announce that I have officially signed for Arsenal FC. Can't wait to see what the next two seasons here have in store for me," he said.
"It was sad to end my ten year spell with Charlton this summer but I can't speak highly enough of all of the wonderful people I met during my ten years there & I wish all [them] the best for the future as I will always have a soft spot for the club & it's [sic] fans."
But what do Arsenal fans need to know about their latest acquisition? Here are some facts about the youngster…
- Ajayi, 19, was born in Crayford, south east London. He is, however, eligible to play for Nigeria at international level, and has featured for their under-21 side.
- Ajayi can place at right-back or in central defence, and featured in the latter position for Arsenal's under-21s.
- He scored for the Arsenal under-21s last month in their 3-0 defeat of Blackburn at Leigh Sports Village.
- He has already played at the Emirates Stadium, having done so last week in a 1-0 victory over West Brom under-21s.
- Ajayi spent 10 years on the books at Charlton, but never made an appearance in the Football League for the Addicks.
- He was released by Charlton at the end of last season after opting not to sign a contract renewal with the Championship club.
- During the 2012-13 campaign, Ajayi spent a spell on loan with non-league Dartford, where he made three appearances and scored one goal.
- Before joining Arsenal, he underwent a trial period with Premier League outfit Norwich City, but declined the offer of a six month contract.
- Ajayi was also wanted by Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Reading, Millwall, Barnsely, Yeovil, Bristol City and Brentford.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms