The week leading up to the match-up between the Baltimore Ravens and Houston Texans produced many story-lines that would make the Sunday afternoon game memorable. 

The first of these story-lines was the return of Ed Reed to Baltimore. This time, Reed returned as a member of the Houston Texans. Reed had played all of his previous 10 seasons as a member of the Baltimore Ravens. 

The second story-line was the celebration of Ray Lewis' induction into the Ravens ring of honor.

Lewis had played his entire seventeen year career in Baltimore and won two Super Bowls with the organization. He was also named defensive player of the year twice and was named to thirteen Pro Bowls. This is the first season in Ravens franchise history without Lewis on the field.

 Despite all of the hyped up celebration, there was still a very tough, physical game to be played between two playoff caliber teams. 

 The Ravens got off to a sluggish start in the first quarter. The offence was only able to move the ball nine yards on six plays the entire quarter. The Ravens defence, on the other hand held the explosive Texans offence to only one field goal. Thus, the score at the end of the first quarter Houston 3, Baltimore, 0.

The Texans offence picked up where it left off as they started the second quarter. However, the Ravens defence did their job once again and only held the Texans to a second field goal. This put Houston ahead 6-0.

After the Ravens finally started to move the ball, Justin Tucker put Baltimore on the board with a field goal with 4:00 remaining in the first half.

With the score 6-3 in favour of Houston, the Texans tried to keep making plays and moving the ball down the field. With 2:39 left in the first half, the Ravens defence struck.

Texans quarterback, Matt Schaub attempted a pass intended for his tight end Owen Daniels. Instead, Ravens linebacker, Darryl Smith intercepted the ball and returned it for a 37 yard touchdown. This put the Ravens ahead 10-6.  

The Texans offence was unable to get things going and the punting team came on with 45 seconds remaining in the first half.

Texans punter, Shane Lechler punted the ball to the Ravens backup returner, Tandon Doss. Doss proceeded to return the ball 82 yards for a touchdown. The Texans were able to quickly get a field goal before the half. At halftime the Ravens led 17-9.

The Ravens continued to play with intensity the rest of the game and hold the Texans scoreless for the remainder of the game. Backup running-back, Bernard Pierce ran for a short, 1 yard touchdown and Justin Tucker kicked two more field goals for the Ravens to give them the 30-9 victory. 

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here:

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: