Fernando Torres is confident that he and Demba Ba are being given a fair shot at Chelsea, denying that Jose Mourinho is favouring Samuel Eto'o.
Mourinho brought Eto'o in from Anzhi Makhachkala last month and has opted to start the Cameroonian over Torres and Ba thus far.
The Chelsea manager has started Eto'o in all three of the games he has been eligible for despite looking short of match fitness. Such a fact has raised questions over Mourinho's selection policy.
Eto'o obviously has a strong relationship with Mourinho as both have stated their delight at reuniting after spending time together at Inter MIlan.
Torres started against Swindon on Tuesday night whilst Eto'o was rested, suggesting he will continue to lead the line when Chelsea visit Tottenham on Saturday. As Torres is the only striker to score for Chelsea this season, some could argue that the £50m man should start ahead of the 32-year-old.
However, Torres has announced he is unconcerned and believes that all strikers are being given a fair shot at a first team place.
He told the Evening Standard: “We have great strikers and all of us are going to score goals. It’s nice to have this competition. The season is going to be long like the last one. There’ll be time for all of us to play in important games and score some goals.
“The main thing is we keep winning. We are in the top four in the Premier League and have moved one step forward in the [League] Cup.
“We’re all fighting to be in the line-up, to be in the squad. It is not easy but is good for the improvement of the team. There are players who have not been involved in the last few matches and the passion and character is plain to see.
“The response of the team has been great. The match against Swindon was my first 90 minutes since the Bayern Munich game in the [Uefa] Super Cup. Sometimes you don’t realise you haven’t played 90 minutes for a couple of games until you feel so tired at the end.”
Chelsea visit Tottenham at the weekend on the back of two victories, having recovered from an early slump that saw them lose three consecutive games in all competitions.
Mourinho has insisted that his plan for Chelsea is a long-term vision and it will take time to reap the benefits of changing the west London club's style.
But despite disappointing defeats to Bayern Munich, Everton and Basel, Torres believes that Chelsea have made a strong start to the season and that the team will continue to improve.
“A new manager always brings different ideas," he said. "There are new things that we have to change from the past and that takes time.
“Manchester United and Manchester City have changed their managers so we are in the same situation. It’s not an excuse. We have a young squad, a very good one. We’re working and everyone is getting better. The season has only just started and can be very good. I think we have to go like the manager says, game by game, bit by bit.”
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms