Fernando Torres has given Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho a cause for concern after limping off with a knee injury last night.

The Spanish international striker, who escaped further punishment after his clash with Tottenham's Jan Vertonghen on Saturday, hobbled off in Chelsea's 4-0 Champions League victory over Steaua Bucharest after just 11 minutes.

But Mourinho insists that the knee injury sustained by Torres is not as serious as the one which ruled out teammate Marco van Ginkel for six months during Chelsea's Capital One Cup contest with Swindon Town last week.

"The doctor is very confident it's not a big injury, like we had with Marco van Ginkel," the manager told Sky Sports.

"It's something in his knee, his ligament, and we have to wait for the scan."

The 29-year-old striker, who is facing a one-match ban after his red card against Spurs, is set to undergo a scan today to determine the extent of his knee injury - and Mourinho has revealed Torres will miss Spain's upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

"He knows that he doesn't play against Norwich on Sunday. He knows that he cannot go to the national team," said Mourinho.

"He knows he has 15 days until the next match he can play, which is against Cardiff. Let's see the scan. If the injury is an injury for 15 days, I think he'll be fine. That's okay.

"The problem is if it's more time and it's a pity for the guy, because he's in a very good moment.

"He played fantastic against Tottenham. Today he started the game because he deserved to start the game. It's a pity, but that's football."

Chelsea's 4-0 win over Steaua Bucharest came as a welcome boost, with the Stamford Bridge outfit having lost their opening Champions League fixture at home to FC Basel in game week one.

Following their return to form, Mourinho's men will be looking to kick on and book their passage into the latter stages of Europe's top competition as soon as possible.

Next up for Chelsea is a trip to FC Schalke 04 on October 22.

Topics:
#Fernando Torres
#Chelsea
Flag article