The head of India's motorsport federation Vicky Chandhok has admitted he is worried this weekend's race in New Delhi could be the country's last.
The Indian round has been dropped from the 2014 schedule with a number of reasons given ranging from financial and scheduling issues to the tax dispute with the national government, however, at the moment if these hurdles can be overcome, the race would return in 2015.
Concerned by the competition from other countries for a spot on the F1 calendar, Chandhok admits the race does face an uncertain future.
"If it doesn't come back in 2015, it may never come back at all," he told the Guardian newspaper. "That is my concern. Once you lose a race it can be gone forever."
As a result Vicky, the father of former Caterham driver Karun Chandhok, has called on fans to make this weekend's race "one to remember".
Last week a report suggested ticket sales for this weekend's race had plummeted with only 20,000 sold for Sunday. But with just a few days to go that number has grown by 150% to 50,000 albeit still half of the circuit's 100,000 capacity.
"We're hoping sales will increase as the race nears," chief executive Sameer Gaur said. "Things should be ok."
Last year 65,000 spectators visited the race - a drop of 30,000 from the inaugural race a year earlier - and a seller near the Buddh circuit admits sales continue to be slow.
"Very slow," he added. "Today, the booth has been open since 8 in the morning. Nine hours later, we have sold a total of 25 tickets."
Despite the smaller crowd, this year's race is likely to be remembered as the venue where Sebastian Vettel claimed his fourth world title with the German needing just a fifth place finish to ensure he wraps up the championship with three races to go.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.