Red Bull designer Adrian Newey has revealed he turned down the chance to join Ferrari as his future remains a topic of much speculation.
The Briton, who along with Sebastian Vettel, have powered to four straight world titles, has spoken of his ambition to move to competitive yacht racing and indeed met with Olympic sailing legend Sir Ben Ainslie last weekend in Abu Dhabi.
It is believed the pair could team up to launch a British team to take on the America’s Cup, with Ainslie won with Team Oracle USA last month.
“He (Newey) would be amazing,” Ainslie told BBC radio 2, confirming that Newey’s “design experience would be crucial”.
At the moment however the 54-year-old’s focus is on helping Red Bull and Vettel match Ferrari and Michael Schumacher’s unprecedented five straight titles with the 2014 RB10 along with the new V6 engine rules coming next season.
Newey however could have been in a very different place potentially helping Fernando Alonso to more than his current two world championships.
He told Sky Italia: “Years ago I had the opportunity to go to Ferrari, but I had small children at school (in Britain) and so it was not an easy decision.
“But I think that being part of Ferrari, as an engineer, is the same sort of dream as it is for a driver. Unfortunately it never really came to fruition.
“I believe that Red Bull will be my last team, but to leave and start from scratch would not be so tragic,” La Gazzetta dello Sport quotes Newey as saying.
As for whether Red Bull can continue their dominance into the new V6 era it is hard to tell the new engines are set to play a much greater role than aerodynamics in the success of the eleven teams.
Their motorsport advisor Dr Helmut Marko was cautious after it was revealed 400 employees are working on Mercedes’ V6 unit as opposed to just 240 at Renault.
“It is possible that the others will have better ideas than we do.” he said.
However Sebastian Vettel played down the impact saying Renault have been a very big part of his recent success in the V8 era.
“They’re doing a very, very good job,” he said in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.
“I hope that next year we will have an engine that’s as powerful and as reliable as this year’s,” he added.
One man who is more concerned is Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost, the junior Red Bull team will join it’s big sister in using Renault engines from next season, but he is concerned one manufacturer could get the upper hand and dominate in 2014.
Asked who he feared most he said: “Let’s say Mercedes.
“If they start strong, the gap could last for a long time,” said Tost.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.