McLaren find themselves in a state of flux as rumours that Kevin Magnussen is set to get the nod over Sergio Perez for the seat alongside Jenson Button in 2014 grow.
Several news outlets were reporting the story on Monday evening, with information coming from sources within the McLaren team that confirmation is due soon.
“Lots of people are being considered,” team boss Martin Whitmarsh, said during the regular Vodafone teleconference on Monday.
Indeed it marks a contrast to expectations just a few weeks ago after Perez’s strong result in India, which seemed to have secured his seat for another year, though another poor weekend in Abu Dhabi appeared to make up the team’s mind.
“He’s done a pretty good job throughout the whole year,” said Whitmarsh. “Abu Dhabi was difficult. It was not quite the result that we wanted and he wanted but difficult weekends happen.
“I think overall he’s done a good job and we’re still talking to him.”
However, with new rules and the future tie up with Honda coming, it seems McLaren are willing to take a Lewis Hamilton-style risk on another of it’s young drivers, but nothing is signed yet.
“The fact is at the moment we haven’t confirmed our driver lineup, we haven’t signed contracts with drivers, and we’re still talking about that,” said Whitmarsh.
Looking ahead to what is the nearest race to his homeland this weekend in the USA, Mexican Perez admitted that 2013 had been ”the most disappointing season in my career”.
“It’s my third year in Formula One and has been my most difficult year, the most disappointing season in my career,” he is quoted by EFE news agency.
Though Perez said he felt a “heavy responsibility” for what he described as a “very frustrating” year which could be McLaren’s worst since 1966, he argued there was little he could do “with a car that bad”.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.