Adrian Newey has blasted Ferrari and Lotus’ claims that they were undone by the mid-season change in tyres.
Following the tyre explosions at the British Grand Prix, Pirelli were forced to revert back to kevlar belts in the tyres as opposed to the steel belts introduced for 2013.
Prior to the events at Silverstone, teams like Red Bull and Mercedes had been pushing hard for the changes in tyre construction, though after they were made Lotus and Ferrari then began complaining claiming it was unfair because they had specially adapted their cars for the 2013 specification tyres.
Since those changes Vettel and Red Bull have won eight of the nine races and strolled to a fourth wold title as a result, Newey however rubbished the claims of Ferrari and Lotus that the changes had been wrong.
Speaking on Austria’s Servus TV, he acknowledged the steel-belted tyres had been “more sensitive” than their 2012 predecessors and that the change had benefited Red Bull because the RB9 was not good at preserving the tyres through high speed corners.
But he is unhappy at their rivals claims their cars were better with the original 2013 tyres by design.
“I think Lotus and Ferrari made a lot of noise about how clever they were in the winter in anticipating the situation that we saw (early in 2013),” said Newey.
“Frankly, I think they were just lucky, just as we were a little unlucky,” he added.
Meanwhile Pirelli have revealed they are looking for a new three year deal with the FIA after concerns a five-year deal may not be possible legally.
President Marco Tronchetti Provera was quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport this week as saying: “We have asked for an exclusive agreement for three years.
“We are in the final stages now. There is no pressure, but we have a very close collaboration with the federation, because the tyres are used according to our instructions.”
Recently both Provera and head of motorsport Paul Hembery issued threats to quit if they were not allowed to conduct more testing ahead of the 2014 season.
Tronchetti Provera said in Milan on Wednesday: “We expect it to be formalised that tests will be done with a 2013 car, and that tests may take place during the season.”
To Auto Motor und Sport, Hembery explained: “To prepare for the (pre-season) tests in Bahrain, we need tests in December and January with the 2013 cars.”
Though current rules would forbid testing with a current generation car, Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda believes teams should be more co-operative with the Italian supplier.
“We need to help them if we want to prevent a repeat of the tyre dramas of this year,” said the great Austrian.
“It is in everybody’s interest. We will have a 2013 car ready for Pirelli when they want it, and the others should do the same," added Lauda.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.