Tom Boyd has, as expected, been selected by the Greater Western Sydney Giants with the first pick of the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.
The powerhouse forward has long been hailed as the best player in the draft and there were no surprises when his name was read out at pick number one. Even at just 18, Boyd looks ready for an immediate step up into the AFL and will now link up in a mouth-watering forward line featuring the number one pick from the 2011 draft, - Jonathan Patton - and All-Australian big man Jeremy Cameron.
The Giants also kept to the script with their second selection, taking hard-running midfielder Josh Kelly but surprised a few with further selections of big men, taking another key forward in Western Australia's Cameron McCarthy at pick 14 and giant ruck man Rory Lobb with their second-round pick.
The top 10 selections went as expected. They were:
1. Tom Boyd, Greater Western Sydney Giants
2. Josh Kelly, Greater Western Sydney Giants
3. Jack Billings, St Kilda
4. Marcus Bontempelli, Western Bulldogs
5. Kade Kolodjashnij, Gold Coast Suns
6. Matthew Scharenberg, Collingwood
7. James Aish, Brisbane Lions
8. Luke Mcdonald (father/son selection), North Melbourne
9. Christian Salem, Melbourne
10. Nathan Freeman, Collingwood
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.