England closed day two at the Adelaide Oval trailing Australia by 535 runs with nine wickets left as captain Michael Clarke and Brad Haddin hit centuries.

The tourist’s closed on 35-1 with Alastair Cook the only wicket to fall in the 21 overs at the end of the day as Mitchell Johnson bowled with a great deal of hostility, picking up where he left off at the Gabba.

The fast bowler disturbed the England captain’s stumps while he was only on three which brought new number three Joe Root to the crease in another tricky situation.

The Yorkshireman dealt with the state of the game admirably, batting 75 minutes and 55 balls for his nine runs along with Michael Carberry who is 20 not out at the close of play.

However, the day ended in panic as England could have lost wickets with the final two deliveries of the day. First of all Root dabbed the ball into the off-side and called through Carberry through for a risky single and if fielder George Bailey hit the stumps he would have been ran out by more than one yard.

The final ball of the day had just as much drama as left-arm seamer Johnson caught Carberry flat-footed on his crease with the bowler appealing for an lbw. Luckily for the Hampshire man Clarke did not review the decision with hawk-eye confirming the ball would have cannoned into the leg stump as England ended a tough session with only one wicket down.

This all came after Darren Lehmann’s men resumed day two on 273-5, looking to continue their dominance in this Ashes series after the impressive victory in Brisbane. Clarke and Haddin were both dropped on day one and they made England pay.

The wicket-keeper had yet another life after passing 50 when Ben Stokes had him caught behind for his first ever Test Match wicket. He was on his way back to the changing rooms when the replay revealed Stokes had over stepped the line and it was given a no-ball so Haddin walked back to the wicket and denied Stokes.

Clarke passed three figures before Stokes was rewarded for his consistent bowling, he had Clarke caught by Anderson for 148 before also taking the wicket of Peter Siddle, this time caught by Matt Prior.

Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann took the final two wickets as Haddin departed for 118 and Australia declared on 570-9.

That brought England to the middle who fought well and will need to keep that mentality up if they are to get anywhere near the hosts formidable total and stop Australia taking a 2-0 lead in the Ashes.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms