If we rewind almost two years from now, you'd be very surprised to hear who you could snap up for bargain prices.
According to the transfermarkt.com statistics, football clubs potentially missed out on some of today's world-class players back in January 2012, who's market values have catapulted since.
Considering the year we've had with transfers, with the world record fee being smashed once again, football clubs have been tempted to spend big, and in the Premier League this was evident, as a total of £630million was splashed on new signings.
Although these clubs wouldn't have had to spend so much on the same players two years ago, who were worth fractions of their value in the present day.
With this is mind, we should look at how much money clubs could have saved (and now wasted), should they have signed some of today's best players when they were arguably lesser-known and ultimately less expensive.
This list shows the best-valued players of 2012: (according to market value increase)
12. Oscar (Chelsea) Value from 2012-13: £7,000,000 to £26,500,000
Value increase: £19,500,000
11. James Rodriguez (Monaco) Value from 2012-13: £8,500,000 to £28,000,000
Value increase: £19,500,000
10. Juan Cuadrado (Fiorentina) Value from 2012-13: £700,000 to £20,500,000
Value increase: £20,500,000
9. Nemanja Matic (Benfica) Value from 2012-13: £2,600,000 to £24,000,000
Value increase: £21,000,000
8. Julian Draxler (Schalke) Value from 2012-13: £4,400,000 to £26,500,000
Value increase: £22,000,000
7. Jackson Martinez (Porto) Value from 2012-13: £3,500,000 to £26.500.000
Value increase: £23,000,000
6. David Alaba (Bayern Munich) Value from 2012-13: £4,400,000 to £28,000,000
Value increase: £24,000,000
5. Falcao (Monaco) Value from 2012-13: £26,500,000 to £53,000,000
Value increase: £26,500,000
4. Robert Lewandowski (Dortmund) Value from 2012-13: £6,200,000 to £34,500,000
Value increase: £28,000,000
3. Isco (Real Madrid) Value from 2012-13: £1,800,000 to £31,000,000
Value increase: £29,000,000
2. Edinson Cavani (PSG) Value from 2012-13: £21,500,000 to £53,000,000
Value increase: £31,000,000
1. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) Value from 2012-13: £22,000,000 to £70,500,000
Value increase: £48,500,000
Click the link above to view additional statistics on these players and more, at transfermarkt.com.
Who would you have signed last year?
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.