England showed initial improvements on day two of the third Test, but Australia remain in firm control of the match and indeed the entire Ashes series in Perth.

Resuming on 326-6, the hosts suffered an early blow, losing a wicket before they could get another run on the board. Stuart Broad - arch-nemesis of the Australian cricket fraternity - sent down a beautiful ball which Mitchell Johnson, then on 39, nicked to Matt Prior.

England's day got better when the irrepressible Steve Smith was finally dismissed for 111 after it was deemed that he had nicked an inside edge through to Prior. A review confirmed just that - much to Smith's annoyance - and Australia were left on 338-8.

The visitors' next breakthrough came when Ryan Harris was caught for 11 by Joe Root off the bowling of James Anderson and England eventually grabbed the final wicket when Peter Siddle tried to move his bat before sending the thinnest of edges through to Prior.

England began their first innings well, with the partnership of Alistair Cook and Michael Carberry performing with impressive composure in the face of a relentless and well-drilled bowling attack to bring up what was the tourists' first 50-run opening partnership of the entire series.

Despite England's refreshingly good start, however, things soon turned somewhat sour when they lost the wicket for Carberry in the 26th over when the Hampshire man unfortunately attempted to pull his bat out of the way too late and saw a Harris delivery crash into his stumps to leave his side on 85-1.

England lost another wicket in controversial circumstances shortly afterward, when Root was given out after being caught behind by Brad Haddin off the bowling of Shane Watson. He instantly appealed and was evidently convinced that he did not hit it. Nothing appeared on hotspot or snicko, but the decision was not overruled - much to Yorkshire all-rounder's dismay.

Cook was the next to fall, leaving his side on 136-3 after Cook attempted a cut shot that went straight to David Warner off the bowling of Nathan Lyon. Kevin Pietersen's wicket was next to fall, he walked for 19 after Johnson made a splendid catch after Pietersen had tried to smash Siddle over mid-on.

Ian Bell and Ben Stokes both managed to keep themselves at the crease by the end of play. A spirited showing from England in the main, but Australia still appear to be in control.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms