Former Barcelona midfielder Ronaldinho may not realise his dream of participating in the World Cup next year, following the shock elimination of his club Atletico Mineiro from the Club World Cup at the hands of Raja Casablanca.
The 33-year-old midfielder was hoping that a good performance at the Club World Cup might earn him a prestigious Brazil recall ahead of the World Cup.
He scored Atletico's only goal in the 3-1 defeat with an exquisite free-kick and, buoyed by that, cheekily flicked the ball over an opponent to send the Brazilian fans into raptures.
But his performance was not enough as his ugly performance could be compared to his ineffectual display for Brazil in a 2-1 friendly defeat to England last February - Luiz Felipe Scolari's first game in charge of the five-time world champions.
Ronaldinho had been hoping to earn another chance by leading Atletico to the title in Saturday's final against Bayern Munich.
"I'm just thinking about Atletico. I want to make the fans happy, represent my country and my club," he told reporters on Monday. "But if we all play well here, then the whole world will see it."
"Everyone knows what I've achieved but I want to prove that I'm in good form and to reach the highest point which there is in Brazilian football, which is the national team."
However, he admitted that all went down the drain in the frenzied atmosphere of the Stade de Marrakech.
"Of course I'm dejected," he told the Sportv network. "The expectations were huge, it's been a marvellous year and we have gone down in the club's history.
"This is tough, we'll have to see what's left for us."
The World Cup will commence in June next year.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU