Montpellier Laurent Nicollin says Manchester United are yet to make a move for starlet Remy Cabella - although Newcastle are on the verge of lodging a bid.
Cabella has been attracting interest from major clubs across Europe, having been compared to a young Zinedine Zidane in the past. Nicollin has also previously that he will only be sold if an offer of £100 million arrives.
While he is unlikely to fetch that figure - around £15 million seems more realistic - a host of Premier League clubs are reportedly ready to make a move for his services.
Both Manchester United and Newcastle have been linked with the 23-year-old, while Arsenal are said to be interested too.
Nicollin insists that a bid hasn't arrived from Old Trafford as yet, but that one from Newcastle could come soon, although he is not inclined to sell until the summer.
"Manchester United has not sent any proposal," Nicollin told Midi Libre.
"As for Newcastle , it seems to me they are about to make one, but I expect confirmation on that. But the idea is still that Remy is with Montpellier until June."
Montpellier manager Rolland Courbis meanwhile admitted he was unsure over Cabella's future.
"Remy Cabella? It is best to keep him but if Loulou [Nicollin] decides that it can be done in January, it will be in January," he said.
Newcastle have a plethora of French players at St. James' Park which would certainly tip the balance in their favour were they to make an offer and open talks with the midfielder.
Manchester United meanwhile are expected to be active in the January window after suffering their 5th home defeat of the season against Swansea in the FA Cup on Sunday.