Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo received the Grand Officer of the Order of Prince Henry award from Portugal’s president, Anibal Cavaco Silva, on Monday afternoon.
The ceremony was attended by a select group of invitees which include his club president Florentino Perez, Portuguese super-agent Jorge Mendes, Spain’s ambassador to Portugal Eduardo Junco, Portugal FA chief Fernando Gomes and Sporting Lisbon president Bruno de Carvalho.
And the 28-year-old 2013 FIFA Ballon d'Or winner expressed his delight in receiving the honourable award.
“I am very proud to receive this title from the president of the republic,” Ronaldo stated in his speech.
“I will carry on working as hard as possible to carry on representing Portugal abroad. This is an important honour for me because I am Portuguese and representing Portugal abroad is a privilege and a source of pride.”
“This motivates me even more,” he said. “I will carry on working hard to win more trophies in my career. I am young and I will carry on playing to enjoy myself like I have up until now. Obviously, if I win titles and I manage to make a good entry in the history books in the world of football, all the better.”
Moreover, after being named a Grand Officer, Ronaldo also said that winning the World Cup would top everything achieved in his career so far.
“It would be a dream come true,” Ronaldo said in comments published on Madrid’s official website," Ronaldo added.
“I do not want to downplay the titles I have won up until now, like this honour or the Ballon d’Or, but it would be a dream come true. We know that it is very hard and that we have to keep our feet on the ground. We will try to do our best and take it one step at a time.”
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.