Liverpool have been told midfield target Valon Berisha is not for sale in the January transfer window.
The Reds have been linked with a move for the defensive midfielder following Lucas Leiva’s injury, with the Brazilian hobbling off at the weekend against Aston Villa with a knee problem.
However, the Norwegian international will not be moving to Anfield if his sporting director has anything to do with it, with Ralf Rangnick playing down the possibility of his player joining Liverpool.
“Red Bull Salzburg are not going to sell any more players in this transfer window,” he told the official club website.
Reports in The Daily Star overnight claimed Liverpool might land the player for around £2.5million, but Norwegian paper Aftenbladet reported earlier in the day that a fee needed would be much higher. Indeed, they reported 100 million Krone (around £11million) was the actual figure required.
Even that appears unlikely to persuade Rangnick to part with his 20-year-old, who has been earning rave reviews for his performances in Austria this season.
It means Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers might have to take his transfer search elsewhere in the final days of the window, but his potential activity may hinge on the fitness of Lucas, as the Merseyside giants await news on the extent of his injury.
The Guardian claimed yesterday (Tuesday) that it could be two months on the sidelines, but the Reds are yet to confirm the details.