Football

Transfer round-up: Chelsea star departs, Rooney to stay?

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

A quick look over the transfer rumours being reported around Europe's media outlets on Saturday January 25.

Rooney to commit to United?

According to various reports, Manchester United hope that Juan Mata's arrival will persuade Wayne Rooney to commit to a new contract. The Telegraph claim that Rooney has been offered £300,000-a-week to stay at Old Trafford until 2018, with the striker close to a decision on his future.

Speaking of Mata, he is reportedly set to have his medical at Old Trafford today. Mata was held up with the delay to Mo Salah’s work permit issues and Chelsea were reluctant to let Mata go until Salah’s issues were resolved.

Essien To Milan

Michael Essien is set to move to AC Milan after Jose Mourinho said he was free to leave earlier this week. Should the move go through, Essien will become Clarence Seedorf's first signing since he took over as Milan manager last week.

Essien told the Milan Channel: “I’m happy to be here. I will do my best for Milan and I hope to be ready to play. I spoke with Clarence Seedorf two days ago. I cannot wait to be available. I really want to thank the chairman and the team and thanks to Jose Mourinho, who has allowed me to wear the Rossoneri shirt."


More in for United
Despite David Moyes previously saying that he didn't expect to be busy in January, United's move for Mata looks set to kick-start a spending spree. According to the Daily Mirror, the champions are also interested in Southampton left-back Luke Shaw after accepting defeat in their bid for Leighton Baines.

'Manchester United boss David Moyes has made a £22.5million bid for Southampton's teenage left-back Luke Shaw,' report the Mirror, who go on claim that Moyes has topped Chelsea's offer of £21m and is hoping to open talks this weekend, keen to land the 18-year-old immediately by offering him the opportunity to start in the first team from the outset.


Draxler to the Emirates:
Arsene Wenger remained coy about Arsenal's move for Julian Draxler on Friday evening, but the papers are convinced that a deal isn't too far away. According to the Daily Mirror, Draxler is desperate to seal a move to the Emirates and doesn't want to wait until the summer for the transfer to be completed.

“Bosses at the Emirates have been given major encouragement that a deal could be done for the £35million-rated Schalke midfielder and it is understood they are having talks with his club,” report the Mirror.


More potential deals:
Rio Ferdinand has been offered an MLS move as his Man United contract ticks down...West Ham are having second thoughts over Joleon Lescott's wages, but have bid for Raoul Loé...Cardiff City are negotiating for Stoke forward Kenwyne Jones, and are prepared to offer Peter Odemwingie as a makeweight...Southampton are eyeing up Sampdoria forward Eder to replace Dani Osvaldo, on whom they will take a £5million hit to sell to Inter or Juventus...Norwich look to ward Celtic off Robert Snodgrass by slapping a £6million pricetag on the winger...Crystal Palace are eyeing up Cedric Bakambu and Will Buckley as part of a long list of transfer targets.

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Premier League
Football

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again