What actually took place during the two ‘filming’ days held by Lotus and Renault at Jerez last week remains under question thanks to contradictory rumours.
According to some reports Friday, the first day of running for the new Lotus E22, saw just one lap completed late in the day, however Lotus insist that on the Saturday a full 100km, the limit for promotional days, was reached without major problems.
The intrigue into the events late last week come after the difficult four days testing at the same circuit a week earlier for engine supplier Renault.
It is understood the French manufacturer actually paid for Lotus to participate in the two days running and invited observers from the three other Renault customers, including both Red Bull teams.
Lotus owner and team boss Gerard Lopez told France’s Infosport Plus: “We were very well prepared. No problems, no overheating, nothing — the car ran like clockwork, which was quite surprising when you look at what happened at Jerez the first time,” he said.
“We are ready to go to Bahrain and start running in the first hour,” Lopez added.
Renault too also presented a positive attitude when claiming the tweaks made to their V6 engines since Jerez had worked as expected and have given no major issues.
“Updates developed in the dyno at Viry during and post Jerez test were run,” the French outfit said, adding that preparations for the next official test in Bahrain “are ongoing”.
There is however claims that Renault broke the rules by testing new parts at a ‘filming’ day however the engine supplier stressed the running simply “validated” fixes that had been developed in the factory.
“As usual, everyone is committed to providing performance and reliability required for normal PU (power unit) operation and a fully competitive 2014 season,” Renault added.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.