Bayern Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has reiterated his stance on striker Mario Manzukic, who has been linked with both Arsenal and Manchester United, claiming he wants the Croatia international to extend his stay at the Allianz Arena.
Mandzukic is the undoubted first-choice centre-forward under Pep Guardiola at present but, with Robert Lewandowski to join from Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer in the summer, doubts have been raised regarding his future in Munich.
Arsenal and Manchester United were both credited with interest in the player during the January transfer window, with David Moyes reported to have made personal check on Manzukic as he considered potential recruits.
It remains unclear if an attempt was made to bring the player to Old Trafford and, it would appear, Bayern would not welcome any bids for Mandzukic, who they hope agrees to a new contract with the club.
“He has already signed a contract until 2016. I have told him that we may extend, if he wants to,” Rummenigge told Merkur with regards to Mandzukic, who started against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Wednesday.
“I am happy that he is there because he has talent. Last year in the final of the Champions League he also scored an important goal.”
Meanwhile, it has also been reported by the Daily Express that Manzukic is under consideration by Chelsea, with Jose Mourinho realising it may take an offer of around £30 million to bring the player to Stamford Bridge.