Boxing

Bernard Hopkins seeks first stoppage since De La Hoya

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

IBF light-heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins is looking for his first knockout victory since 2004 when he takes on Beibut Shumenov on April 19. 

The DC Armory, site of several championship boxing matches in the last year will host the bout, and Hopkins, the oldest champion in history, has vowed to break another record when he goes to battle with his Kazakhstan opponent. 

"I'm coming back to break another record by unifying the title and I'm looking to get my first knockout since I fought Oscar De La Hoya in 2004," said the 49-year-old.

"I know Shumenov is tough, but I'm tougher and I'm not going to let him make a name for himself by being the one to stop me."

The veteran will become the oldest fighter to hold two titles at the same weight if he defeats the current WBA champion who has suffered one defeat in 15 contests.

Fighting in the U.S capital of Washington D.C, Hopkins has good memories as he previously defended his middleweight title with a 7th round technical knockout win over Robbert Allen in 1998. 

"It's no secret that my one of my biggest goals has been to unify the titles and getting to do that in a city where I have a lot of history is the best-case scenario," said Hopkins.

Hopkins last fought in October last year outpointing Karo Murat in his first defense since beating previously unbeaten Tavouris Cloud for the title in March 2013. 

Shumenov recently knocked out Tamas Kovacs inside three rounds and could be a very dangerous opponent for the American. 

Having started his career seven years ago, the Kazakhstan powerhouse has only had 15 fights in what has been a low active career. Now aged 30, Shumenov is primed and ready to retire the Philadelphian future hall of famer.

"I am very excited that the fight is going to happen against one of the greatest fighters ever," said Shumenov.

"I am going to do everything possible and impossible to get the victory."

In the co-main event, unbeaten WBO middleweight champion Peter 'Kid Chocolate' Quillin will defend his title for the third time against Lucas Konecny.

Having scored 11 knockdowns in his last three contests, the American is becoming a very popular fighter and will be looking to make another statement in just over a months time. 

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Bernard Hopkins
Boxing

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again