WBO super-bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz has admitted that he would fight unbeaten Carl Frampton in the near future, if the opportunity arises.
Having successfully defended his title against Cristian Mijares at the weekend in Las Vegas, the Mexican star said he likes the idea of a fight with Frampton.
"Carl's been saying he wants to fight me and i've seen him in a couple fights," two-weight champion Cruz told BoxNation.
"He's a great fighter, undefeated and comes forward like me and throws parallel punches and pressures a lot. So i think it would make a really great fight for the fans."
Frampton is undefeated in 17 contests and at 27-years-of-age he has a bright future at world level if given the opportunity. He takes on Hugo Cazares at the Odyssey Arena on April 4 and if victorious a meeting between the pair is on the cards.
"If he wins, it could be the next fight that happens. He's in an eliminator to fight me in his fight, so if our managers can work out something i think it can definitely happen next," Cruz said.
It could be a very tasty affair if the two were to meet come late summer. Both fighters like to press the action and land combinations and many wouldn't expect the fight to go the distance.
Cruz, 25, has defended his world title three times stopping four of his last seven opponents. Boasting a record of 27-0-1, the Mexican has won 15 by knockout drawing one contest back in his second professional bout in 2007.
Having fought in Northern Ireland in his last three bouts, Frampton has sold out the arena on each occasion and the same is expected next month.
His last victory came against Jeremy Parodi when he stopped the Frenchman back in October and Cruz admitted he had no problem in travelling overseas.
"It doesn't matter where i fight him. It's up to my manager and promoter to decide where the best place is," he said.
"I'll fight him wherever. If they want me to fight him in Ireland, i'll come over and fight him in Ireland."
Guillermo Rigondeaux (13-0) is currently ranked number one by BoxRec, but with his contract at Top Rank leaving him inactive, the Cuban is unlikely to fight until the summer.
Rumours have said the 33-year-old will have one more fight under promoter Bob Arum before looking elsewhere potentially opening up the chance for some big fights down the line.
Frampton will be looking to fight Cruz or IBF champion Kiko Martinez before the end of 2014. The Irishmen defeated Martinez back in February last year and since then his Spanish rival has gone on to claim a world title.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms