Cork City are returning home with three points after a deserved win over Derry City in their SSE Airtricity Premier Division clash at Brandywell on Sunday afternoon.

In a disappointing game, in which both teams created little, it was no surprise the only goal of the game came from a set piece.

Barry Molloy came to Derry’s rescue in the 28th minute when he headed the ball off the line from a Cork corner.

Although the midfielder appeared to be behind the goal-line, the assistant referee waved play on despite claims by the Cork players the ball had crossed the line.

Derry escaped again in the 32nd minute when O’Sullivan failed to convert from the edge of the six yard box when put through by a clever Dennehy free kick.

Cork took the lead 10 minutes into the second half when centre-half Darren Dennehy found himself unmarked six yards out at the back post to head home an excellent free kick delivered by his brother Billy.

The only other incident of note in the second half was when Derry keeper Gerard Doherty was quick off his line to dive and collect the ball at the feet of Buckley 12 yards out in the 78th minute.

Early on, Curran's 30-yard attempt was easily collected by McNulty, who also did well to stop Patterson's drive soon after.

Disappointment then for the Candystripes in new manager Roddy Collins's first competitive home game in charge.

Roddy Collins is still searching for his first league win as Derry City`s manager, up next to face the "Candystripes" Drogheda United on Friday night 

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here:

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: