There was a grave sense of dissatisfaction as 22 V6-powered F1 cars burbled their way to the first corner on Sunday.
After the screams of the V10 and V8 eras, the lack of noise from the new engines has somewhat split the fans and experts with the turbo whine and tone of the new V6 unit making for a more mechanical sound compared to the ear-piercing V8's.
"At first I said 'Just take out your earplugs, it's the same as before'," triple world champion Niki Lauda told the German broadcaster RTL.
"But I have to honestly say I was slightly disappointed today on television, especially at the start. Simply something was missing," he added.
"Before, it (the sound) was right down to the marrow. We need to get used to it but it has lost some of its attraction."
World champion Sebastian Vettel, who has had few positive experiences so far with the new units, had a scalding comparison of the new V6 turbos claiming it was like driving "a vacuum cleaner than a racing car".
Perhaps rather unfairly, the new V6's had to go up against the V10 and V8 soundtrack as cars with those engines completed demonstration runs around Albert Park keeping the fans amused before the real on-track action.
The man who is best to draw a comparison between the three different engine formulas, McLaren's 14-year veteran Jenson Button, admitted he missed the old noise.
"Oh my god I miss that," he said to reporters. "It sounded amazing. Those were great years for the sound of the engine, but that is no more."
While most admitted disappointment, bosses of the Australian Grand Prix were actually furious at the new quieter F1.
"We pay for a product, we've got contracts in place, we are looking at those very, very seriously because we reckon there has probably been some breaches," race CEO Andrew Westacott told Fairfax Radio on Monday.
Unsurprisingly Lauda, who is also Mercedes Chairman, is warning the sport to refrain against altering the V6's just to make them louder.
"Everyone wants to do something about it, but you can't just change the exhaust pipe, you'd have to redevelop the whole engine and the mapping," he told GMM. "That's just way too expensive.
"Please do not change the engines just to make a bit more noise," he exclaimed.
If the new noise was enough to make organisers of the next race in Malaysia nervous, the ongoing search for missing flight MH370 is also putting F1 at the back of local's minds.
That is the claim of Sepang boss Razlan Razali: "People are not in the mood for an event like this," he told the AFP news agency.
"Everywhere, be it on radio, newspaper, TV or social media, it is all about finding MH370."
Now one of the more developed Asian races, Malaysia's place in F1 has been growing in recent years and Razali insists the show must go on.
"Whatever it is, Formula One will go on and the concert after that will proceed but we will be sensitive and not go overboard," he explained.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms