Football

Manchester United's chances of making semi-finals revealed

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Manchester United have only a 22% chance of making it to the semi-finals of the Champions League at the behest of Bayern Munich according to the Euro Club Index.

The Red Devils turned around a 2-0 deficit with a 3-0 win against Olympiakos in the second leg of their last 16 tie on Wednesday to book a last eight spot.

However their joy was cut short today after they were drawn against reigning champions Bayern Munich earlier today.

Pep Guardiola's side are unbeaten in the Bundesliga this year and are looking to become the first team to retain the Champions League trophy.

Few are likely to give Moyes and his Manchester United side much of a chance of making it through to the last four - now it seems as though the Euro Club Index have put an exact number on their chances.

According to their (very complicated) formula, the Red Devils have got a 22.1% chance of making it past Bayern Munich, who of course are given a 77.9% chance of making it through.

Manchester United fans are unlikely to be too impressed with that number, and will retain onto hope that they can upset the odds at Old Trafford in the first leg.

The bookmakers appear to agree with the Euro Club Index, and have placed Manchester United as 33-1 outsiders to win the tournament having had them at 16-1 before the draw.

Despite their slim chances of progressing, they are not the club with statically the least chance of making it to the semis.

Euro Club Index claim that Borussia Dortmund have just a 15.9% chance of beating Real Madrid - as they did last year - and moving one step closer to the final.

Euro Club Index: Likely semi-finalists

Real Madrid - 84.1% chance of qualifying

Bayern Munich - 77.9%

FC Barcelona - 73.9%

Chelsea - 57.2%

PSG - 42.8%

Atletico Madrid - 26.1%

Man Utd - 22.1%

Borussia Dortmund - 15.9%

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Bayern Munich
UEFA Champions League
Manchester United
Football

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again