The LA Dodgers have ended the New York Yankees 15-year streak as the highest-spending team in MLB according to new research.
New figures revealed today put the Dodgers at the top of the pile, with a projected payroll of $235 million, according to study of all major league contracts by The Associated Press.
Their offseason spending spree has bumped them to the top of the charts, with the biggest earner at the franchise being pitcher Zack Greinke, who earns $28 million-per-year thanks to the $147 million contract he was handed in 2012.
Adrian Gonzalez, Matt Kemp and Carl Crawford all take home in excess of $21 million, while
Clayton Kershaw, Josh Beckett, Hanley Ramirez and Andre Ethier all earn in excess of $15 million.
With Alex Rodriguez suspended for the 2014 season because of his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal, Greinke is the highest earner in MLB according to the research.
"We've got great ownership and a great fan base, and we need to do what we can to win games," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said last week.
"I don't think the guys worry about it. I know we don't worry about it. We're expected to win, and that's how we go about it. Money doesn't mean you win. Money just means you have a chance to get the best players."
Despite being dropped down to second in the list, the Yankees still have a huge wage bill worth $203 million. Way back in third place is the Philadelphia Phillies who have a wage bill of $180 million, followed by 2013 World Series winners the Boston Red Sox at $163 million and the Detroit Tigers at $162 million.
At the other end of the list is the Houston Astros, who have a projected payroll for 2014 of just over $44.5 million.
The new MLB season gets underway on Sunday, when the Dodgers take on the San Diego Padres.
MLB Projected Payrolls - click here to see the best-paid players.
1. LA Dodgers $235,295,219
2. NY Yankees $203,812,506
3. Philadelphia Phillies $180,052,723
4. Boston Red Sox $162,817,411
5. Detroit Tigers $162,228,527
6. LA Angels $155,692,000
7. San Francisco Giants $154,185,878
8. Texas Rangers $136,036,172
9. Washington Nationals $134,704,437
10. Toronto Blue Jays $132,628,700
11. Arizona Diamondbacks $112,688,666
12. Cincinnati Reds $112,390,772
13. St. Louis Cardinals $111,020,360
14. Atlanta Braves $110,897,341
15. Baltimore Orioles $107,406,623
16. Milwaukee Brewers $103,844,806
17. Colorado Rockies $95,832,071
18. Seattle Mariners $92,081,943
19. Kansas City Royals $92,034,345
20. Chicago White Sox $91,159,254
21. San Diego Padres $90,094,196
22. NY Mets $89,051,758
23. Chicago Cubs $89,007,857
24. Minnesota Twins $85,776,500
25. Oakland A's $83,401,400
26. Cleveland Indians $82,534,800
27. Pittsburgh Pirates $78,111,667
28. Tampa Bay Rays $77,062,891
29. Miami Marlins $47,565,400
30. Houston Astros $44,544,174