Omega Pharma – QuickStep's Guillaume Van Keirsbulck took his first stage race overall victory when coming out on top in the Three Days of De Panne.
By finishing fifth in stage 3b's individual time-trial, won by Maceij Bodnar, the 23-year-old Belgian secured the win seven seconds in front of Luke Durbridge in the general classification.
Before the final stage, Van Keirsbulck and Durbridge were separated by just 11 seconds, sitting in sixth and seventh position, respectively.
Orica – GreenEdge's Durbridge was faster on the day but only managed to take four seconds of Van Keirsbulck's lead on the 14.3km course, leaving the Australian rider seven seconds short of an overall first place.
Van Keirsbulck's fellow OPQS riders Gert Steegmans and Niki Terpstra, first and third respectively before the decisive stage, could not find the speed to hold on to their positions.
Steegmans was off the pace while Terpstra got of to a catastrophic start when a failure to clip into his pedals cost him seconds he could not afford to lose.
Belgium's Steegmans managed to hold on to the podium finish claiming third, eight seconds down on Van Keirsbulck. Holland's Terpstra had to accept an overall fourth place, finishing 15 seconds down which, agonisingly, was the approximate time he lost at the start.
Van Keirsbulck is having a good season on home soil after finishing second at the Three Days of West Flanders.
Cannondale's Bodnar was the fastest man in the time-trial, finishing with a time of 17min 51sec, three seconds ahead of second-placed Jan Barta (NetApp-Endura) and six seconds faster than David Boucher (FDJ), who finished third.
Earlier, Lampre-Merida's Sacha Modolo claimed his second win of the event when he beat Andrea Guardini (Astana) and Kenny van Hummel (Androni Giocattoli-Venezuela) in a sprint finish.
Many of the riders participating in the Three Days of De Panne will now focus their attention on Sunday's Tour of Flanders.
Three Days of De Panne 2014, stage 3a: De Panne to De Panne, 109.7km
1. Sacha Modolo (Ita) Lampre-Merida in 2-22-20
2. Andrea Guardini (Ita) Astana
3. Kenny van Hummel (Ned) Androni Giocattoli
4. Kenneth Van Bilsen (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise
5. Ralf Matzka (Ger) NetApp-Endura all same time
Three Days of De Panne 2014, stage 3b: De Panne to De Panne, 14.3km time trial
1. Maciej Bodnar (Pol) Cannondale in 17-51
2. Jan Barta (Cze) NetApp-Endura at 3 secs
3. David Boucher (Fra) FDJ at 6 secs
4. Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge at 7 secs
5. Guillaume Van Keirsbulck (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 11 secs
Final overall classification
1. Guillaume Van Keirsbulck (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep in 11-38-16
2. Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge at 7 secs
3. Gert Steegmans (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 8 secs
4. Niki Terpstra (Ned) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 15 secs
5. Marcel Kittel (Ger) Giant-Shimano at 21 secs
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU