London Wasps flew past Gloucester, beating them 36-24 in their Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-final tie at Adams Park.

Matt Mullan, Carlo Festuccia and Will Helu went over for the home side, whilst Andy Goode got 21 points of his to send them through.

Gloucester’s Jonny May, Gareth Evans and Martyn Evans got tries, with Rob Cook also getting nine points on the board, but they were always chasing the Wasps’ tail.

The game started off fairly even with no team really giving the other any time to breathe on the ball.

Kicking was very common in the early stages, but it was the Wasps’ Andy Goode the one that got the scoreboard ticking.

Whilst his side were pushing for the try line, they were not getting far with the constant pressure and solid defending by Gloucester.

The ball came to Goode, who kicked it in between the sticks to give them a 3-0 lead.
He had the chance to double it five minutes later from a penalty, but shot it wide of the mark.

Yet, London Wasps constantly pushed and finally made their breakthrough in the 30th minute.
Wave and wave of attack came from the Wasps’ forwards, gradually making their way across the line and towards the end zone, before England international Mullan driving over for the first try of the match.

Just four minutes later, Gloucester got their first points of the game, with full-back Cook kicking a penalty to leave them 10-3 down.

But Goode got another penalty, this time converting it to take them into the break, ten points ahead.

And it got even better for the Wasps after the break, as they extended their lead to 17 points with a try by Festuccia.

With more aggression from the forwards, the Wasps hooker dived over to touch down, despite the video referee being needed to ensure Festuccia crossed the line and the try was valid.

Goode got the conversion and a penalty minutes later to make it four goals from five.
But the game wasn’t over, as Nathan Hughes saw yellow for tackling from the side and a minute later, Gloucester had a try of their own.

They broke down in middle of the pitch, just five yards from the line, before passing the ball out wide to England winger May to touch down to pull the score-line back to 23-10.

The momentum continued with the visitors as replacement number eight, Evans, bundled through several Wasps players to touch down, as Cook got his second conversion to leave them just six points behind Wasps.

But Goode drew from his years of experience to give his side a sign of relief, kicking two penalties to give them a 12-point advantage, going into the last eight minutes.
And Wasps sealed the win just before the end, as the London club worked the ball out wide from their scrum, to Elliot Daly.

The centre burst down the left side, chipping the ball over Gloucester’s backs.
Although he was not able to get on the end of it, Helu followed through to touch down unchallenged.

Gloucester did get a consolation try in overtime with Thomas dodging through a couple of tackles to touch down.

But it could not stop Wasps from progressing through to the semi-finals, where they will face Bath at Adams Park on the 27th April, after the Somerset club eased past French side Brive 39-7 in the early kick-off.

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here:

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: