Roger Federer has admitted he may have to miss out on playing at the French Open later this year to attend the birth of his third child.
The Swiss player, who is currently participating in the Monte Carlo Masters, announced last December that he and his wife Mirka were expecting, though he did not give an exact date.
It remains unclear as to when the birth will happen, and the 17-time Grand Slam winner admitted that he may have to miss a tournament when the time comes.
“We're just waiting,” he said after beating Radek Stepanek in the second round in Monte Carlo on Wednesday.
“It's a priority for me trying to be there, trying to support my wife. I've played enough tennis matches. Missing a tournament or missing a match wouldn't change anything for me.''
The 32-year-old, who also has two daughters with his wife, was then asked whether that would include being prepared to miss the French Open, and it was a possibility that was not ruled out.
He said: ''Yeah, let's talk about it when it would happen. At the moment we hope it's not going to be that way. If it is, that's what it is, you know.''
The tournament at Roland Garros, which is the second Grand Slam of the year and the pinnacle of the clay-court season, begins on May 25, with the final being on June 8.
Federer is currently ranked at number four in the world and will be among the favourites to win the tournament in Paris, as he did in 2009, when he beat the Swede Robin Soderling in the final in three sets.
His form has been much improved since the announcement of the new arrival to the Federer family, as his ranking has improved by two positions, with the highlights of his year so far being his run to the semi-finals of the Australian Open in January and winning the Dubai Open in March.
The former world number one has continued his impressive form in Monte Carlo, as he swept aside Stepanek in under an hour on the way to a comfortable victory.
Lukas Rosol will be his next opponent in Monaco, with the match being scheduled third on Court Central, which will be the first meeting between the pair on clay.
Federer is aiming to win the clay-court tournament for the first time in his career, having previously reached the final on three consecutive occasions between 2006 and 2008, where he was beaten three times by Rafael Nadal.
It initially seemed that Federer would not be competing in this year’s tournament, and the contest against Stepanek was his first at the Monte Carlo Masters since 2011.
However, he was granted a wildcard entry after deciding to gain more practice on clay before the French Open, should he be available for the tournament.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.