Mo Farah has been told by his coach to focus fully on the track and not the marathon, after his debut in the longer distance in the London Marathon earlier this month.
Alberto Salazar has urged the current Olympic 5000 and 10,000m champion to "stick with what he's best at" in the lead up to Rio 2016, reports The Telegraph.
Salazar, who teamed up with Farah in 2011, has helped the 31-year-old dominate the long-distance track events in the last three years, and insists that despite having no regrets over Farah's decision to run in London, it's now time to focus on the track again.
"Part of me doesn't like to see Mo get beat but the fact that he did makes his decision clearer," Salazar claimed. "Let's stick with what he's best at in the world, stick to the track through Rio."
Before the London Marathon took place, and even since, speculation has been rife as to whether Farah was going to double up at Rio, attempting to become only the second man to win both the marathon and the 10,000m at a single Olympics (after Emil Zatopek won all three long-distance events at the 1952 Helsinki Games).
But Farah' struggles which saw him finish 8th in London has led to Salazar wanting to improve the Brit's sharpness on the track.
"This was a good year to experiment, because there are no World Championships," he said. "Now Mo has a full year to get back in track shape for the World Championships and another year to go until Rio."
It is still unclear as to whether Farah will return to the track for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in July, but Salazar confirmed the runner was contemplating it: "He's thinking about it seriously. He hasn't committed but he's open to the idea."
The Games start on July 23 and the organisers will be hoping one of the sports' star names does opt to run. One thing seems to be clear, and that's that Farah won't be running another marathon anytime soon.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU