The New England Revolution scored two stoppage-time goals to beat Major League Soccer champions Sporting Kansas City on Saturday night.

Teal Bunbury scored his first goal since joining the Revs from Sporting, before Lee Nguyen converted a 94th-minute penalty.

The visitors had to play the last 20 minutes with ten men after Aurelien Collin’s dismissal for a late challenge.

New England finished just one place behind Kansas City in last year’s Eastern Conference, but have had an indifferent start to this campaign.

Their off-season business included bringing in Bunbury, but the USA forward hadn’t previously found the net since the 2012 play-offs.

Sporting lost to a last minute Chad Barrett goal in Seattle on the opening weekend, but they’d been in inspired form since then with three wins and two draws.

The Wizards lost at the Gillette Stadium in last year’s play-offs, but then knocked the Revs out of the tournament with an extra-time goal at Sporting Park.

Out for revenge, New England edged a tight opening period, with the best opportunity falling to Jerry Bengtson who dragged horribly wide following an intelligent through-ball from Nguyen.

Bunbury created a couple of half-chances for himself with clever turns, but couldn’t negotiate his way past first Matt Besler and then goalkeeper Eric Kronberg.

At the other end, a lovely team move from Kansas City ended with Benny Feilhaber teeing up Sal Zizzo, but the new man blazed his effort way off target.

The Revolution continued to frustrate their opponents after the break, with the first chance of the second half not coming until the 59th minute when substitute Alex Martinez forced Bobby Shuttleworth into a save at his near post.

The resulting corner also dropped into the Uruguayan’s path, but he rifled just wide from the edge of the box.

In the 74th minute the game came to life, as Collin caught Diego Fagundez late and referee Alan Kelly produced a slightly harsh red card.

Almost immediately though, ten-man Sporting could have taken the lead. A counter-attack ended with a Dom Dwyer cross, and when Andy Dorman could only half clear, Fielhaber shot wildly off target with the goal gaping.

It looked as though Kansas City would be able to hold out for a point, but Bunbury bundled home in the 92nd minute when Kronberg failed to claim Fagundez’s cross.

And the Uruguayan was involved again with the second goal. From a Wizards attack, the home side broke and though the 19-year-old’s first effort was saved by the goalkeeper, his headed rebound was blocked by Oriol Rosell’s arm, and Kelly pointed to the spot.

Revs head coach Jay Heaps insisted that Nguyen take the penalty, and he made no mistake, smashing the ball into the bottom left corner of the net to seal the three points.

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here:

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

New England Revolution
Sporting Kansas City
Aurelien Collin