If you are a sports fan of anything that isn't the NBA then you can count yourself lucky. You don't have Joey Crawford refereeing your matches.
In every sport you have moments where an official will make a wrong call or you can disagree with something they do from time to time. That's acceptable. But it's when wrong calls and stupid actions are so egregious that the referee making them becomes infamous himself, that's when you know you have a problem.
And Crawford is a celebrity for the horrendous calls that he makes on an almost nightly basis.
Just yesterday, with a playoff game coming down to the final seconds, Crawford took it upon himself to become the star of the show.
With the Oklahoma City Thunder one point down, and Kevin Durant at the free throw line with the chance to tie up the game with only 20-odd seconds remaining, Durant gets ready to make a clutch shot. And enter Joey...
The bald-headed buffoon stomps into the MVP leaders way, blasting his whistle at full volume and waving his arms like a madman at such a crucial moment in the series.
And all this for what? Because the arena scoreboard wasn't displaying the proper number of team fouls. Yes that is so aggrieves that it warranted putting a star player out of his routine with a game on the line. As you can guess, Durant missed his second try at the halted free throw and the score stayed at 100-99, allowing the Memphis Grizzlies to take a 3-2 lead in the series.
This is the latest in a long line of Crawford cock-ups. We'll take a look at some here:
- Ejected Tim Duncan from a game for laughing at a bad call he made. He then proceeded to ask the San Antonio Spurs star if he wanted a fight.
- Here he runs in front of Steph Curry, making him miss a free throw
- He was so bad in Game 3 of Portland-Houston that he was the top trending topic in America.
- Here he fouls Damon Jones, but gives the foul to an opposition player in an effort to hide his embarrassment
- He shouted and shrieked his whistle at a mop-boy for not showing enough hustle
- He also blasted the scoreboard worker at the game last night
And you want to know what's the worst about all of this. Half of them are only from the last couple of weeks or so.
Joey Crawford is an angry, hot-headed, foul-mouthed, smug and proud old man for which there is no place in the world of sport. Hopefully after being hard on Donald Sterling, commissioner Adam Silver has the stones to do something about the biggest stain on the NBA.