Paulie Malignaggi admits his career could be over

Next Story

It has been over a month since Paulie Malignaggi lost to Shawn Porter and he is still suffering from some of the concussion symptoms as a result of the fight. And depending upon how he recovers, it could mean the end of his boxing career.

“Until I know for sure whether I’m going to get better or it’s something that I’m going to have to deal with for a while, I’m not going to make a decision about whether to keep boxing,’’ Malignaggi said. “I’m leaning more toward not fighting again. If I don’t fully recover from the symptoms, I don’t see a reason to keep risking.’’

Malignaggi, a former junior welterweight and welterweight world champion, is a boxing commentator for Showtime, FoxSports1 and Sky Sports. He is in London this week working on the broadcast for the Carl Froch-George Groves rematch at Wembley Stadium on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old Brooklyn-born boxer is concerned how those symptoms could affect his future career as a broadcaster.

“Right now I’m still suffering from some nausea and some headaches,’’ Malignaggi said. “I failed some memory and balance tests, but it wasn’t anything that serious. I’m not suffering from any severe memory loss or anything like that. So I’m fine. But I want to wait to see if these symptoms subside before I make a decision about going back into the ring.’’

Malignaggi suffered the most severe beating he’s ever had in his entire career. And that includes his rugged fight against Miguel Cotto in 2006. After that match Malignaggi suffered a fractured orbital bone and a broken hand. The heavy-handed Porter pummeled Malignaggi and stopped him in the fourth round.

“I’ve never taken that kind of punishment,’’ Malignaggi said. “Usually the kind of punishment I took happens over 12 rounds. But this was after three and a half rounds.’’

Malignaggi said he was vomiting in the dressing room after the fight, on the ambulance ride to the hospital and for the first hour at the hospital. He tried to go home that night, but the doctor wouldn’t let him.

“The doctor said I was not going to be able to go home because the hematoma behind the left ear could start bleeding and I’d have to go into surgery to stop the bleeding,’’ Malignaggi said. “That kind of put things into perspective. I left in the morning when they felt it was safer.’’

In the last month the nausea and the headaches have subsided, but Malignaggi isn’t sure when they will go away completely. Or if they will go away.

“If they’re lingering, I don’t want to make them worst. I’ll see where I’m at once I let some time go by,’’ Malignaggi said. “If I’m going to be putting my health at risk, I’m not fighting anymore.’’

Next Story

Read more