Chael Sonnen has said that Wanderlei Silva literally ran away from his gym when the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) turned up to spot test him.
Sharing his side of the story on UFC Tonight, the American fighter sounded off about Silva and the reservations that he's had about Silva through his career.
"Wanderlei has operated his entire career under the shadow of suspicion that he was using performance enhancing drugs. However he has never failed a drug test, so we don't speculate on those types of things" Sonnen said.
"That clean record came to a screeching halt on Saturday night. Not only did he fail his test, he refused to take the test, and as you know a refusal is equal in the eyes of the commission to a failure. He ran from the test, Kenny, and I don't mean that figuratively, I mean they came to his gym and he literally ran. He goes out of a side door, they go after him saying his name."
There's been no official confirmation on whether or not Sonnen's story is true to the extent that he says, but it has been confirmed that Silva refused NSAC's testing, which caused them to cancel the upcoming fight.
Sonnen had been saying for months ahead of time that Silva was looking for a way out of the fight, including starting a brawl on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 in order to try and injure one of the two.
With that in mind, it does seem as if the UFC had a contingency plan ready with the quickness that they announced that Vitor Belfort would replace Silva at UFC 175, but would remain at light heavyweight. Belfort is the number one middleweight contender and was initially going to face champion, Chris Weidman, at UFC 175 before issues with his fight license meant that the UFC changed plans and now the card is headlined by Weidman versus Lyoto Machida.
Sonnen and several other sources have gone on to say that the fight between Sonnen and Belfort, despite happening at light heavyweight will be for the next middleweight title shot, following UFC 175.
Both have fought for the title at that weight before, both losing to Anderson Silva and both have fought Jon Jones for his light heavyweight title, once again both coming up short.
As for Silva, Sonnen says he expects that he'll lose his fight license and his time with the UFC might be over, especially after the now infamous brawl on TUF Brazil.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.