Now former Torino striker Ciro Immobile has expressed his delight after completing a summer switch to German giants Borussia Dortmund.
The Italian forward, who is expected to feature for his country at the World Cup in Brazil after a fine campaign, completed his transfer on Monday evening, and was quick to thank his former club and also the fans for what was seen as a memorable season.
The 24-year-old signed a five-year deal with the German side after the two clubs agreed a deal for an undisclosed fee, with Dortmund officials viewing the Azzurri forward as a perfect replacement for Bayern Munich-bound Robert Lewandowksi.
Immobile topped the golden boot race in Serie A last season with 24 goals in all competitions, in just 33 appearances, and after talking about his move, he couldn't hide his delight at joining such a well-established club.
"After a year at Torino, I say goodbye to Italy in order to transfer to Borussia Dortmund," Immobile said on his official website, ciroimmobile.it :"It hasn't been the money that has pushed me to go to Germany.
"I am fascinated to play in the Champions League, to come up against the strongest defenders, to be able to battle to win titles in one of the most structured clubs in the world.
"I believe the style of play (in the Bundesliga) can help me become one of the best strikers in the world.
"I could not let this unique opportunity go by and I've earned this through hard work and by making a lot of sacrifices.
"To have turned it down would have been an act of folly."
Immobile's goals lead Torino to a seventh place finish in Serie A, and it saw him win a World Cup call-up, despite only making his national debut back in March.
The Italian forward becomes the second striker to join Borussia Dortmund this summer, after they also agreed to sign Hertha Berlin forward Adrian Ramos earlier on in the season, and it's expected that the two will star up front for the German side and will help fire the goals in that they will miss when Lewandowski leaves.
After announcing the deal, Dortmund's sporting director Michael Zorc, had this to say:
"In Immobile we are getting a flexible and dynamic attacker who has performed impressively in a top European league.
"His outstanding quality fits perfectly with the requirements of Borussia Dortmund."
Torino's president Urbano Cairo, had this to say when he spoke to Gazzetta dello Sport:
"We listened to Immobile's wishes.
"It was a difficult situation as half of the player's sporting rights are owned by Juventus.
"He has received a very important offer. At Torino he earns 800,000 euros (per year) while Borussia have offered him three times that amount, plus a bonus.
"For us it was an untenable figure."
With the announcement formally made, Immobile ended his the interview by thanking the Torino fans for their support last season, and he also thanked the club for all their help throughout the 2013/2014 campaign.
"It has been a difficult decision because Torino has given me so much," he said. "It helped me to increase my value after a difficult season.
"I have felt a lot of affection and that has helped me day in and day out to become the top scorer in the league and be called up to the national team.
"I thank the club, the president (Urbano) Cairo that have believed in me.
"I thank the coach (Giampiero) Ventura and his staff and obviously my team-mates, without whom I wouldn't have been able to score 22 goals.
"But I would like to thank the Granata fans, who have adopted me as though I had been born wearing these colours.
"Each time I wore this jersey, I felt invincible.
"I will never forget the last 11 months at Torino."
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.