The UFC have officially announced that Jon Jones will fight Alexander Gustaffson in his next title defence with the rematch being set for September 27th.
The news regarding the signing of the fight comes after a week of speculation and hints that the rematch all UFC fans are craving for was set to be confirmed.
Jones and his manager met with Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta in Las Vegas on Thursday to iron out the final details in order to complete the champion's next fight. The UFC was relentless in the pursuit of signing this rematch and have worked an agreement that will see it happen in September.
It was believed that Jones had been more interested in fighting two-time Olympian Daniel Cormier in his next bout rather than facing Gustaffson in an epic rematch for the title.
Jones spoke to UFC.Com to explain the events of the contract signing: "There was never an issue with a contract. I was traveling and finally got to Vegas and got to talk with Dana and Lorezno. We talked and September 27th, I'll be fighting Gustafsson,"
Jones also spoke about his interest in fighting Cormier: "I think Cormier is the tougher fighter, but the fans want to see me fight Gustafsson," Jones said. "There was never an issue with taking the Gustafsson fight. The issue was that my brother is getting married in July and I would have preferred a later date. I didn't want to go this early and I would have preferred to go later in October or November."
The official confirmation of the fight is yet another victory for the UFC and its fans, they clamoured to request the rematch they desired and once again UFC president Dana White has delivered the goods.
Now scheduled for the 27th of September, the card also sets up the original site of the first clash between Jones and Gustaffson to also host the rematch.
White has already expressed his delight at being able to sign the fight officially and has said: "This if the fight the fans want to see."