Arsenal have told Barcelona they will not be exercising a buy-back option on midfielder Cesc Fabregas, according to BBC Sport.
The 27-year-old is said to be heading back to the Premier League in the coming transfer window with Chelsea leading the race to sign the Barcelona star. The Gunners inserted the clause when selling Fabregas to Barcelona for £35m in 2011 and were given first refusal after Barca decided he could leave.
It is understood Fabregas was keen to return to Arsenal but manager Arsene Wenger is not looking to recruit a creative midfielder after signing Mesuit Ozil from Real Madrid last year. The Spaniard, who started his career at Barcelona and still has two years of his existing contract to run, has been linked with Chelsea following the departure of veteran Frank Lampard and his future is expected to be decided in the next two or three weeks.
On Thursday, ex-Red Gerard Pique was caught on camera apparently telling Spain coach Vicente del Bosque that 'he told me that it is already done, he is leaving already, 33m euros he said', but the pair are thought to have been joking as it's been made clear that no deal has been reached for him.
Fabregas was the subject of two unsuccessful bids from Manchester United last summer after the recently departed Moyes fought for his signature. He's said to have been 'flattered' by United's interest and could very well join the red side of Manchester in the summer if he showcases his skills against Louis Van Gaal's Netherlands Team on 13 June.
Where do you think Fabregas will end up?
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.